Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
“Having suffered from CFS/ME for a whole decade, I well understand the completely debilitating effects of living with unrelenting exhaustion and pain, and constantly fearing that I may never recover. Thankfully, I made a full recovery in just two weeks by doing a mind-body based approach in 2008 and I have been been healthy and energised ever since.
My own recovery story can be found on the About Mel Abbott page.
It is now my passion to help other people to recover. So far, I have assisted over 1000 people’s recoveries from chronic illness, about half of whom had CFS.”
What is CFS and what causes it?
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS or ME) is a debilitating disorder in which severe fatigue is not improved by bed rest.
To be diagnosed, you must have:
- Severe fatigue of six months or longer
- Other known medical conditions excluded by clinical diagnosis
- Four or more of the following symptoms:
- Substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration
- Sore throat; tender lymph nodes
- Muscle pain
- Multi-joint pain without swelling or redness
- Headaches of a new type, pattern, or severity
- Unrefreshing sleep
- Post-exertional fatigue not improved with rest.
What is common to all these people is that their experience put their body into a stress response.
CFS recovery results
It was lucky that while I was ill with CFS, I was too tired to google my condition and therefore did not find out the terrible statistics on recovery from CFS. In the mainstream arena, only 5% of people fully recover and 60% achieve no improvement at all*.
However, you don’t need to fear! About half of my clients come to me for CFS, which means I have now seen over 500 clients for CFS and have seen around 80 – 90% of them recover and only about 1% of them make no improvements! These clients have ranged from totally bedbound to being able to work full time but feel worn out at the end of the day. They have ranged from being ill for four months to being ill for 40 years. They have ranged from 10 years old to 78 years old. Length or severity of illness does not seem to make a difference to recovery – the main factor is whether someone really wants to get well and is willing and open-minded to do the work to become well.
Inspiration for you…
Recently, a lady came to me for 32 years of CFS. She had watched all my testimonial stories and become convinced that it could work for her but had expected that it would take her longer because of how long she’d been sick. However, she had made a full recovery within two days, which was even faster than most people! She reports:
I can hardly believe it myself!! I’d read how change can be easy and quick, but never expected THIS easy and quick! I can’t believe I actually enjoy doing the vacuuming, just ‘cos I can. Can also do lots of things in a day now, and can visit friends, do voluntary work , go out at night with energy to spare! And I don’t even think about sleeping in the afternoon now !!
You can also ‘like’ Empower Therapies on Facebook for more inspirational testimonials and success stories.
How to enrol
I have not renewed my Lightning Process license at the end of July 2017 and will not be running any further Lightning Process courses. However, I am feeling very excited about new and exciting ways to help people recover. There are several ways that you can make sure you are informed of new opportunities as soon as they are available:
- Join my mailing list to receive first announcements. I usually send about 4 emails per year, so it’s not spammy, and every email has an unsubscribe button on it. This will have information about new opportunities at Empower Therapies so that you can decide if you are keen.
- Fill in an expression of interest form – if you know that you want to come to me as your Practitioner, you can fill in this form so that you will be sent an application form as soon as Empower Therapies is up and running with its new venture
- Join my facebook page for daily inspiring updates
- Keep an eye out on this website, which will be totally overhauled when I am ready to launch
* Systematic review by Cairns and Hotopf, published in Occupational Medicine Oxford Journals, 2005. A literature search of 28 articles compared 14 University studies for prognosis and outcomes of CFS sufferers.
Newsflash! Public intro seminars in November!I will be holding 2.5 hour intro seminars in Christchurch and Dunedin. Find out more and book tickets here!
Empower Therapies Quarterly Newsletter
Receive News of:Free Seminars
Inspiring Client Stories
Find Mel on Facebook!'Like' Empower Therapies on Facebook to hear daily inspirational stories and updates. Mel Abbott Empower Therapies