- Empower Therapies
- 1-1 Therapy
- Therapy Testimonials
- Core Concepts
- Book Online
Self-esteem is how you feel about yourself.
If you think you’re worthwhile, you’re more likely to make friends, get good jobs and have more opportunities, which in turn means that you feel even better about yourself and the upwards spiral continues.
Unfortunately, self-esteem can be a negative spiral too. Having a lack of self-worth leads to fewer opportunities and further depletions of self-worth. It’s an important cycle to break as low self-esteem has wide-reaching negative effects on your mood, behaviour, beliefs and experiences.
Low self-esteem symptoms:
- Very self-critical
- Easily hurt by feedback from others
- Seek validation from others
- Unrealistically low opinion of your abilities, appearance and personality
- Difficulty making decisions
- Constant need to please others, often at the expense of yourself
- Feel guilty… sometimes for things that aren’t even your fault!
- Pessimistic about everything: life, future, and above all, oneself
- Lack of enjoyment in life
- Tolerate abusive relationships
- Reluctant to state own opinions or assert boundaries
How can Empower Therapies help?
I have seen a lot of clients do very well for low self-esteem. Low self-esteem is reinforced by a negative voice inside your head and an internal scanner that only notices evidence of your failures, rather than evidence of your successes. Helping people to change what they give attention to and to start rewiring their thinking patterns into positive ones is a first step to resolving low self-esteem. For some people, they also need to address an experience in their past that has sapped their confidence, or clear some old beliefs they took on from critical parents or from a bad relationship.
Low self-esteem is often quite unrelated to actual success in people’s lives – I have seen several clients who were Head Girl or Boy at their school, Dux, Captain of the First XV et cetera, and yet they still think they’re not good enough. Self-esteem has far more to do with the voice in your head than with any kind of external measures of success.
How to enrol
I have not renewed my Lightning Process license at the end of July 2017 and will not be running any further Lightning Process courses. However, I am feeling very excited about new and exciting ways to help people recover. There are several ways that you can make sure you are informed of new opportunities as soon as they are available:
- Join my mailing list to receive first announcements. I usually send about 4 emails per year, so it’s not spammy, and every email has an unsubscribe button on it. This will have information about new opportunities at Empower Therapies so that you can decide if you are keen.
- Fill in an expression of interest form – if you know that you want to come to me as your Practitioner, you can fill in this form so that you will be sent an application form as soon as Empower Therapies is up and running with its new venture
- Join my facebook page for daily inspiring updates
- Keep an eye out on this website, which will be totally overhauled when I am ready to launch
You are also welcome to contact me to further discuss how Empower Therapies can help you.
Did You Know?
- Recovered alcoholics indicate that low self esteem is the most significant problem in their lives.
Alcoholism: A False Stigma: Low Self-Esteem the True Disease (Candito, 1996).
- 75% of girls with low self-esteem reported engaging in negative activities such as disordered eating, cutting, bullying, smoking, or drinking, compared to 25% of girls with high self-esteem.
(Real Girls, Real Pressure: A National Report, June 2008)
- Males score higher on standard measures of global self-esteem than females, but the difference is small.
(Kling, Psychological Bulletin (1999).
Empower Therapies Quarterly Newsletter
Receive News of:Free Seminars
Inspiring Client Stories
Find Mel on Facebook!'Like' Empower Therapies on Facebook to hear more inspirational stories and updates from Mel's Lightning Process Courses. Mel Abbott Empower Therapies